Thirsting for Truth
It seems of late, that I have been really thirsty. Really, really thirsty. Like - salty, jumbo, movie popcorn thristy. Like - advanced, hour-long, triple-tier step aerobics class thristy. Like - first thing in the morning, even before you brush your teeth or stretch thristy. Yeah, you get the picture.

What have I been so thirsty for? Simple.

Truth. God's Word. Direction.

It makes me think of a time ...
About six years ago I hit a bit of a burn out season. Brad had been born in June. I began home schooling Ben. Steve was gone a lot with the airlines. My speaking ministry was growing. I was tired and my tank was running low. So, we packed up one weekend in October and went to my parents vacation home on a river in eastern North Carolina. It was just what I needed. I'm telling you the truth, not even the banjo players from "Deliverance" could find this place. It is waaaaay out there in the sticks. Just perfect for what I needed.
However, hunting season was cranking up and somehow, people found it. Now that I think about it, I'm sure the banjo players were even there.

On our first morning, I gathered my Bible and a blanket and went down to sit on the picnic table by the river for my quiet time. I just felt as if I'd burst if I didn't get into the Word. It was such a perfect setting to be fed. God did a tremendous thing for me that morning. He gave me an image I will never forget.

As I got wrapped up and comfy for my quiet time and opened the Scriptures to feast, I began hearing guns going off in the distance. It was eerie to hear so many rifles going off around me while I sat there on the picnic table. I thought to myself, "Bambi is out there somewhere this morning ... and he's scared to pieces!" (I'm such a girl)
I tried to get my mind back on the Bible when suddenly, I heard rustling in the brush just down from me. As I watched, a small deer emerged from the undergrowth and made its way down to the edge of the water. It bent its head down and began drinking. It drank and drank ... and drank -- all the while the rifles were going off at regular intervals all around us. It didn't seem to even phase the deer. It was so satisfied by the cool morning water that it drank as if it knew it was completely safe with no threat anywhere nearby.

As I sat there staring in disbelief, I felt the Lord begin to whisper in my heart:

"Marlo, are you so unlike this tiny creature? Are you not both here at this very moment for the same reasons? You are both thirsty and weary ... and the guns are sounding off in both your lives ... but look at how My creation trusts Me more than you. That deer might not make it through the day, yet she drinks in total peace. You, on the other hand, are not so calm. You've let the cares of this world, get you frantic. You are burned out and worn out and stressed to the point of losing the peace I offer you freely. Look at this small deer ... study her ... and as you sit now and drink of My Word ... learn from her and live above the gunshots ... above the things that threaten you day by day. Drink and drink ... and drink -- and let Me be your Watchman. Let Me keep you at peace."

Sometimes it is difficult to ignore the gunshots. However, I think of that deer often ... and how her thirst outshined her instinct to run and hide.

Right now at this point in my life, I am that thristy. I am thirsty enough for God's Word and His truth ... HIS truth ... that it outshines my instincts to retreat, or run, or hide from anything that would delay or hinder my growth. God has been revealing Himself to me in new and undenyable ways this summer. I want more. I feel as if I'm reading the Bible for the first time in some ways. I am thristy.

How precious is the flow ~
of Living Water.

Drink like the deer ... and drink in peace.

3 Comments:

Blogger Micca said...

Hi Marlo,

I came to your blog to say, "yes" I'd be honored for you to quote me. While visiting, I was blessed by your word today. You are an amazing writer! Thank you for your heart for ministry and helping others accoplish their God-given dreams!
hugs,
Micca

Blogger God's girl said...

This post blessed me today! Thanks so much for sharing!
Blessings,
Angela

Blogger Stacey said...

Wow Marlo!

I was browsing through your recent posts and found this one. Thank you so much for listening to the voice of the Lord. I needed to read this and it truly touched my heart this (late) evening as I head to bed.

I will rest in His peace while I sleep.

Thanks again!
Stacey (Kisses From the Father)

Post a Comment

Home

Our Daily Brad:
"What did he say today?"

About Me
Twitter Stream
Previous Posts
Archives
Credits