Advertisements for Jesus ... does He really want the help?
Okay, I must break the silence and I am certain that I might offend someone by doing so ... but nonetheless ... this is my blogsite and I reserve the right to censor all comments. Bahahhhahahahha
But seriously folks ...

I am growing ever impatient with the "Christian marquees" that dot the front yards of many churches along life's highway. I don't know ... they just seem tasteless most of the time ... and what exactly is the purpose they bear? Here are a few recent examples:

"What part of 'Thou Shalt Not' do you not understand?" (Oh yeah, THAT is going to be really effective, there.)

"The Cross - the ultimate power tool" (Oh my goodness, I can't even comment on that one.)

"ATM inside - atonement, truth, and ... (For the life of me, I can't remember how it ended ... but an ATM?? Come on people.)

On our local news tonight, apparently one church has been receiving a lot of response over their marquee and most of it is not very good. It says, "Pray that all Jews will accept Jesus as the Messiah".
Of course, I pray that all of the world will accept Jesus as Messiah ... but hmmmmm ... that did seem a bit stark to me. And again, how effective is that really going to be? Am I being harsh here? I am just really struggling with this. I truly don't know if this is the kind of help Jesus wants from us. I can't imagine that it is.

Katie emailed me a photo this past Saturday. We've sort of been playing a little game between Mabes, her, and me. When we see something like that, we take a phone pic and email it to the others. Katie's picture was not of a marquee, but rather a beanbag chair wrapped in this huge clear plastic sack. Through the plastic you could see the words printed on the chair. It said, "Our God is an AWESOME God." Mabes texted back and said, "Well I know that you shouldn't ever put God in a box; but apparently a big bag is fine."

Lately I struggle so much with some of the methods used by the Church. Is this what being salt and light is supposed to look like? I do not think it is. What are your thoughts?

1 Comments:

Blogger Kate said...

i'm loving this, ps.

i think that a lot of the problem is just wanting to put a big tidy bow on things, desiring to be able to check the box off. i think that manifests itself in wanting to be able to "check the box" of having said something that points toward "salvation" instead of really looking to what would be effective.

i just really don't understand why those things are so popular. there was this church in raleigh we used to pass on our way to krispy kreme from campbell that had the most outrageous signs...it always made me wonder if they knew that they were a running joke ... and if they knew, why did they continue to do it??

Post a Comment

Home

Our Daily Brad:
"What did he say today?"

About Me
Twitter Stream
Previous Posts
Archives
Credits